Commons Categorization Reform[edit source]
How can I help? Raidarr told me at June 01 2023 Meeting that you would be the one to speak to about assisting with redeveloping the categorization at the Commons.
- In case you'd like to follow up with my progress or find others to help, I created this Project page.
- User:Imamy/Project page for Category:Commons media
- @Imamy: This a good start. I do have some observations.
- Be aware of category loops. I noticed you have added a category to itself on several occasions. Look at the categories Category:East Germany and Category:DDR (GDR) etc. You have added the same category, so it just loops round and round. Expand the category tree and you'll see the same categories just keep appearing over and over.
- Singular and plural of the same category can confuse matters: Category:Holiday as a subcategory of Category:Holidays. Just the latter would suffice. Its the same with the Russian stamp and stamps categories, just <other part of tile> stamps will suffice.
- As Commons' primary language is English, it's probably best to avoid using various languages in titles. Stick to the primary language and if needed, other languages/translations can be added on the category page if further details are required. The Russian stamps category is a good example. Just use "Postage stamps of Soviet Union" and include the Russian translation on the category page itself, if that makes sense. Borderman (talk) 21:57, 4 June 2023 (UTC)
- You may see similar loops while I sort out details. I'm learning history as I go along. that particular loop was my discovery that DDR East Germany and the full long name area all same thing. So had to create a page to capture that fact. I can still be wrong lol. but i don't want to take a chance of not leaving myself any notes.
- Keep the feedback coming. Thanks! Imamy (talk) 02:34, 5 June 2023 (UTC)
Ancient History[edit source]